"Play fair and have fun while satisfying your competitive spirit."
About the Houston Telephone Golf Association
Based in Houston, Texas, the goal of HTGA is to give average golfers the tournament golf experience while maintaining the fun and
friendship of a casual golf association. The HTGA is a traveling golf league where regular tournaments are held monthly (usually on a Saturday)
in and around the Houston area. The new season starts in June but new members can join at any time during the season (restrictions may apply).
The season ends with an annual tournament in October (changed from May in 2015).
* No monthly commitment: we play a minimum of 12 tournaments (18 holes) spread through the year... most tournaments are held on Saturdays.
Visit the tournament page for details.
* A different course for each tournament
* Scoring is based on USGA handicap guidelines
* Prizes awarded in each flight for each tournament
o Number of awards, and size determined by number of players in the tournament
* Points system to determine end-of-year champion: The Masters champion has the Green Jacket, we've got the GOY award...
* USGA rules apply with minor modifications to ensure pace of play
* Awards, association gifts, champion's trophy, end of year banquet, GHIN handicap and administration costs are
covered by the tournament fees and annual member fee.
* Players pay green fee for each tournament: We play quality courses, yet typically have greens fees at $70 or less for 18 holes
and a cart
Play The Game By The Rules
“By the Rules” – HTGA play is conducted under the USGA Rules of Golf. Generally, events are individual stroke play events,
but we also have team events and an annual match play bracket. There are no “mulligans” and there are no “gimme” putts.
It is the responsibility of each member to know the Rules of Golf as set forward by the USGA.
Eligible member is anyone (male or female) who loves the game of golf and aware of how the game is to be played. She/he should enjoy a little
pressure in playing competitive events. Age is not a criteria and ability is not a criteria. She/he should like to meet
new people who share the love of the game.
Handicaps are required to compete for prizes in the tournament flights. If you do not have a handicap, it can be established after competing
in an event with the association, and by having enough adjusted scores posted to the GHIN system.
In short, there are few restrictions to membership. But yearly dues apply. For the current season it is $50 for the year.
Membership benefits include a USGA handicap - viewable at GHIN or on the GHIN page on this web site. Any individual is welcome to check
the association out by playing as a guest at any regular HTGA event. Guests are NOT eligible for prizes except for closest to the pin and
long drive competitions, and gross skins if they are being held. If you are interested in becoming a member or would like to play as a guest
please fill out the form on our membership page.
To review the association's current bylaws, click HERE.
The association maintains guidelines for HTGA tournament play. To review the association's current guidelines,
New Member Information
The HTGA is a 50+ year old Houston area golf association. The association schedules golf tournaments year round
at different golf courses. Most of the courses scheduled are in or around the Houston Metro area. Occasionally tournaments
are scheduled in SW Louisiana, Sealy, Bastrop, Galveston, and other surrounding Texas locations. All courses scheduled are
regulation par 70, 71 or 72 courses.
USGA rules govern play, unless otherwise noted by the course or the HTGA. The format of play is usually low net based
upon a participant's handicap index. The handicap is determined and kept by USGA's GHIN system. New members are restricted
from playing for prizes until an official USGA handicap index has been established. Once that is done, the player will be
placed in one of the flights and will compete against other players of similar abilities for prize awards. Every male player
must have a 36 handicap index or better, female players must have a 40 handicap index or better.
The cost to play a particular course is negotiated by the HTGA and posted on the schedule as soon as possible. The posted
cost of play includes course fees, with entry fee for prizes separate. Optional events are also
available to members, i.e. long drive, closest to the pin, and skins for those interested.
Membership requirements are minimal. You must already know how to play golf at a reasonable skill level. This means that players
should have a handicap index and be aware and follow the rules of golf. If you are uncertain about your skills, contact the
HTGA for guidance by e-mailing the membership chairman.
The annual membership cost currently is only $50. But the benefits of membership in the HTGA are numerous.
* Tee times are scheduled for players every month.
* You can elect to sign up to play any event up to the week before play.
* Playing golf competitively against other golfers of similar abilities with an opportunity to win prize and cash awards is
fun and exciting.
* You will be exposed to a variety of golf courses with varying degrees of challenge and difficulty.
* Course tournament schedules are presented to members in advance. You will know what course is scheduled and what the cost will be.
Most of the fees for courses scheduled range between $45.00 and $65.00 and include green fees, cart and range. (see league schedule)
Entry fees are separate.
* Members can ask to play with friends or specific players, if they don't specify, the tournament director will decide foursomes
* You will be sharing an interest in a great sport with many other golfers, young and old, male and female.
If you are interested in joining, please see the membership tab for details...